SEEKING: Guitar Players… all of them.
The Guitar Bar All-Stars want YOU to join them this Thursday at Sinatra Park for an attempt at the World Record for the most guitar players simultaneously strumming along to the same tune.
First attempted in 2013 as an opening act of sorts for Bob Dylan’s performance in Hoboken, the Guitar Bar tried to see just how many people they could get to play along with Dylan’s “Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door.”
“Our shop house band – the Guitar Bar All-Stars – thought it’d be nice to pay tribute by doing a set of Dylan songs for our concert that he probably wouldn’t play at his own show the next evening,” said Guitar Bar proprietor James Mastro in a 2016 interview. “The beauty of Dylan’s songs is that, while lyrically very deep, the chords are simple enough for even the beginning guitarist to play. I figured it’d be fun to ask our students and anyone else who wanted to bring a guitar to come join the band. And from there, over the years it’s just snowballed.”
The event has evolved into an annual tradition, and one of the best nights you could ask for on the Hoboken Waterfront.
Here’s the setlist for the 2017 gig:
1. “Knocking on Heaven’s Door” – (Bob Dylan); Key of G
2. “Ain’t No Sunshine” – (Bill Withers); Key of Am
3. “I Changed The Locks” -(Lucinda Williams); Key of E
4. “Dead Flowers” -(Rolling Stones); Key of D
5. “When I Come Around” -(Green Day); Key of G
6. “Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For” – (U2); Key of C
7. “Johnny B Goode” -(Chuck Berry); Key of A
8. “Isis” -(Bob Dylan); Key of A
9. “Rock & Roll” (L Zep) – (Led Zeppelin); Key of A
10. “Harvest Moon” -(Neil Young); Key of D
11. “Something Else -(Eddie Cochran) Key of D
12. “The Last Time” -(Rolling Stones); Key of E
13. “Island in the Sun” -(Weezer); Key of G
That might seem like a lot to take on, but if it’s too daunting, just focus on “Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door,” then see where the night takes you.
Registration begins at Sinatra Park around 6:00. The show begins at 7:00.
(video via Patch.com)