TRUE Mentors, a nonprofit that provides free mentoring services to Hudson County youth, will launch its annual #GivingTRUEsday campaign will launch on Tuesday, May 5th, to meet the urgent needs expressed by local families as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
TRUE Mentors, which helps young people develop healthy, strong relationships via one-to-one, group, and professional mentoring programs to youth between the ages of 7 and 18 (or through high school senior year) is a proud participant in the #GivingTuesdayNow movement—a new global day of giving and unity created to inspire generosity and support communities and nonprofits around the world.
The organization suspended in-person programs in early March and pivoted to support participants virtually, the well-being and safety of participants, volunteers, and staff. New adaptive programming focuses on the individual needs of Hoboken youth through regular check-ins with each family and conversations with schools and community resources to help supply essential support. This is particularly important now, because more than 90% of the families that rely on TRUE Mentors services live at or below the low-income threshold.
TRUE Mentors is asking for help during this time of need—no amount is too small, and all donations will help fund the coordination of essential activities like:
- Printing and delivering schoolwork to program participants
- Arranging leased laptop pick-ups and deliveries
- Acting as a go between for families with the schools, resource providers, and tutors
- Arranging donations such as food pantry items
- Tracking the underserved youth’s adjustment to online learning
- Helping displaced families seeking rental assistance
- Tutoring sessions to ensure that each child get the attention they need
- Assistance with securing jetpacks for participants who are unable to obtain free wifi so they can continue their schoolwork
Visit their website to make a donation, or sign up for any number of different volunteer options with flexible requirements and expectations that are perfect for anyone who’s passionate about helping Hudson County youth.
“Your generosity can help alleviate the feeling of desperation and isolation that many families in the Hoboken community are currently enduring as a result of the Coronavirus,” said Katherine Samberg-Lawrence, Executive Director, TRUE Mentors. “There are many opportunities to give back and connect with local youth virtually while practicing physical distancing. In these unprecedented times, it’s important to recognize that we each have the ability to make an impact, heal our community and unearth the excellence of the next generation by fostering TRUE relationships.